So how's your camry going?

Adamsy

Ok so is it just me or do all your friends and work mates just love to take the ***** and call your much loved Aurion no matter what model it is a bloody Camry?

If so do you find yourself getting kind of protective and almost insulted and feel the need to point out the differences between us and a Camry-like were in another league to a Camry or something? is it right that we do that or should we be proud to say yep it a special glorified Camry. I mean the Camry isn’t a bad car by a long shot; I have a soft spot for the hybrid.

But if were liking the whole it’s not a bloody Camry then what come backs do we have when our mates want to be duds? Apart from. f*ck up w@nker and do you know what it's like to be punched really hard in the head lol?

I get people calling it a Camry all the time. Personally I just don't give a damn when they do, I just usually say something like "it's an Aurion but it's pretty much a Camry". Even I think of it as a Camry at times and when people don't know about the car, I just say how it's like an upgraded Camry.

At the end of the day, it pretty much is when you consider that Toyota market it as a Camry in the Middle East and Asia.

And when you manage to put Fords and Holdens in their place, it sounds funnier when you can tell them that a Camry beat them.

And when you manage to put Fords and Holdens in their place, it sounds funnier when you can tell them that a Camry beat them.

This is the best part of all. One of the guys at work gives me plenty about it and on our road trip he brought his HSV Maloo along and in the wet conditions it was bloody hopeless and slow as all hell, easily the slowest car of the bunch. It really bit him on the **** bad when we told him to hurry up your holding a bunch of glorified Camrys up lol :) Good day, good day

I'm with DJKOR. Even I call it a Camry sometimes.

One of the first things my brother said to me was something along the lines of "Why did you buy a Camry?" for which I replied "Because it is faster than any car you have ever owned."

To be honest, I didn't buy the car for its speed. I bought Toyota for its reputation and the Aurion for it's looks compared to the cars in my price range. I had no idea it was actually quite a decent performing car at purchase.

Lets not kid our selves, it is a Camry.

It is from the Camry platform, so for me I have no issue if someone called it a Camry. But I would still point out the different engine. At lest when you work for Toyota, people do know more about the differences than most. The differences are like comparing an Omega V6 with an SS-V V8.

Holden has a V6, V8 and Duel Fuel Commodore. Toyota respectively has the Straight-4, V6 and Hybrid. Then you get to HSV & TRD. Same same, but different.

Toyota has maintained the weight advantage (lighter). Holden the rear wheel drive (not that its an advantage in most 'normal' driving). Toyota the overall economy advantage. And the list goes on ... for and against with both.

Main plus for me is that the Toyota has an ideal engine / drivetrain to use in a mid-engine rear wheel drive creation ;) 200 killer-wasps pushing only 500kg down the road ... thats my idea of fun!

Couldn't care less - I have a friend who makes it a point of calling my car a camry because he can't stand it when its faster than what he has (his wife decree'd that he buy a honda odyssey)- So I let the baby have its bottle...

A girl (that I know) last night txted me saying she was driving behind me. So then I asked how do you know it was me? She said because you have a Silver Camry. I got defensive and then she replied aurion camry, same sh!t :(. It kinda is but also kinda isnt!

But then again, I do what DJKOR does and say it's a camry or sometimes don't give a crap because the Camry IS a nice car.

And hey, I was an ex 97 camry owner (wide body) :). The Aurion is my second car.

I would have never opted for a Toyota. I was actually looking at Holdens etc, but a family friend was selling his Camry for almost free so I took it off him. Best choice ever, if I never did I would have been a holden boy :ph34r:

Edited by unique

Personally i don't care what they call it,ignorance is bliss,a few of my mates call it a Camry on purpose to try and get a reaction from me,but i'm so over that now i don't even raise an eyebrow anymore. :)

also after de-badging my ride the name calling has got worse,people have got no idea what i drive,the most asked question i get these days...what type of car or Toyota is that?

and Adamsy it's normally the jealous ones that sling the most sh!t about and Aurion being a Camry,one of my good friends insists on calling it a Camry on purpose all the time...and he drives a Hyundai Sonata,enough said. :lol:

I don't mind people calling my Aurion a Camry at all. I much prefer it over when I was driving my Commodore and people would call it "****box" and "rust bucket" and "commonwhore" :D

Most people associate a Camry with a slow, boring yet reliable car that will always get you to Sunday bowls. It makes it all the more fun when you leave them for dead at the lights.

I've no idea people would be bothered so much with other people calling ur rides' a camry.. :lol: . We all know they are called Camry in Asia. And they're Luxury.. :spiteful:

You guys're lucky at least people know it's a Toyota. Most people I talked to doesn't know what my car is. 'What is this? Toyota? You serious?' or 'What you drive? Aurion. Wat's that..? ' And I ended up replying them 'It's sort of like a Camry' :lol:

You guys're lucky at least people know it's a Toyota. Most people I talked to doesn't know what my car is. 'What is this? Toyota? You serious?' or 'What you drive? Aurion. Wat's that..? ' And I ended up replying them 'It's sort of like a Camry' :lol:

I get that as well. Oh, is that a Toyota? WTF is an Aurion?

If you want to be technical about it, most Commodores aren't actually a Commodore. Holden for a long period of time never actually had a name for the whole model range, just a code (HQ, VB etc), with the base or common model often becoming the "generic" name (ie Kingswood, Commodore). Before Kingswood you had the Standard, Special and Premier, for the Kingswood you had Belmont, Kingswood and Premier, for the Commodore (VK onwards) Holden were less serious with the naming style but you still have Acclaim, Berlina and Calais as standalone names (for instance you don't see a Commodore badge on the back of a Calais, it literally is a Holden Calais).

And to make this relevant, you could apply the same naming scheme to the Camry/Aurion :P They share the same chassis code, under the skin they are essentially the same car sans engines and cosmetic head/tail-lights. If you think of it as the Toyota XV (using the chassis code as a model code like Holden), then your 4-cylinder models are Camry Alise/Ateva etc and your 6-cylinder models are Aurion ATX/Sportivo etc

Personally I dont care what they call it,to me its a TOYOTA and thats all that matters. I love it , my customers like it. as I watch the falcons and statesman's fall apart around me, I know the aurion will still be a winner.

Sometimes I'll bite and fire up just to humour them, but mostly I'm over it. I don't need to say anything. My tailights say it for me. ;)

This is the best part of all. One of the guys at work gives me plenty about it and on our road trip he brought his HSV Maloo along and in the wet conditions it was bloody hopeless and slow as all hell, easily the slowest car of the bunch. It really bit him on the **** bad when we told him to hurry up your holding a bunch of glorified Camrys up lol :) Good day, good day

His first words to me on Saturday night were "Take your Camry home." Soon wiped the smile off his face when I responded with "I would but its stuck following your Maloo."

A lot of you guys are claiming the Aurion is fast, beating maloos? Are you serious? If the Aurion can beat a HSV I guess DJKOR's TRD is as fast as the speed of light? :lol:

If:

1) The roads are wet

2) The Maloo has nothing weighing down the **** end

3) And the driver either can't drive for ****, or is dead

then yeah I can imagine him having trouble beating a standard Aurion. But that's about it, these things aren't slow if you know how to drive them.

My mate calls my Aurion a Camry. Mostly I don't care, but every so often I'll correct him and say either...

"Correction, Camry on steroids."

or

"The Camry's bigger cousin."

motsly the former. :P

Sometimes I'll bite and fire up just to humour them, but mostly I'm over it. I don't need to say anything. My tailights say it for me. ;)

His first words to me on Saturday night were "Take your Camry home." Soon wiped the smile off his face when I responded with "I would but its stuck following your Maloo."

haha top effort all about it! Poor fella he still cops it bad still. he said something about the Aurion not having enough power or something today and i said yeah at least my car didn’t end up point the wrong way in a ditch, and he just had to walk away lol.

& like STEVEN pointed out the Maloo has no weight over the back so it makes it very loose in the wet and not in any way a quick grand tourer. Funny to watch though! except when it spins randomly right in front of you lol.